Mega Hundreds of thousands Jackpot Ticket Value $36M Goes Unclaimed


Posted on: February 17, 2024, 06:19h. 

Final up to date on: February 19, 2024, 12:40h.

A Mega Hundreds of thousands jackpot gained in August has gone unclaimed.

Mega Millions jackpot unclaimed lottery
The lottery participant who gained the $36 million Mega Hundreds of thousands jackpot for the Aug. 15, 2023, drawing didn’t redeem the prize throughout the Florida Lottery’s 180-day redemption window. The funds will as an alternative be returned to the taking part lotteries that fueled the jackpot. (Picture: Mega Hundreds of thousands)

The Florida Lottery earlier this month notified Mega Hundreds of thousands gamers {that a} profitable jackpot ticket value $36 million remained excellent. Lottery officers mentioned on the time that the ticket needed to be redeemed at a lottery workplace or validated at a Florida Lottery retailer by midnight EST on Sunday, Feb. 11.

The ticket was offered at a Publix grocery retailer in Jacksonville, positioned at 4495 Roosevelt Blvd. Florida lottery legal guidelines require that wins be redeemed inside 180 days. The Mega Hundreds of thousands ticket matched the six profitable numbers through the Aug. 15 drawing. The numbers had been 18, 39, 42, 57, and 63, and the gold Mega Ball was 7.

The chances of a ticket matching all 5 white numbers and the Mega Ball are only one in 302,575,350. Mega Hundreds of thousands consists of a pool of 70 white numbers and 25 Mega Balls.

The sport is drawn twice per week at 11 p.m. EST from the WSB-TV studios in Atlanta. The drawings are supervised by the Georgia Lottery.

What Occurs Now?

Florida Lottery officers defined that when a profitable ticket isn’t redeemed throughout the 180-day time-frame, 80% of the unclaimed cash goes to the state’s Instructional Enhancement Belief Fund. The remaining 20% is returned to the prize pool from which future prizes are awarded, or used for particular promotions.

Nonetheless, since this unclaimed prize was a Mega Hundreds of thousands jackpot ticket, which is an interstate lottery recreation performed in 45 states plus D.C. and the U.S. Virgin Islands, a lot of the $36 annuitized jackpot can be returned to the taking part states the place the gross sales had been generated.

The unclaimed ticket was truly value $17.5 million in money, because the marketed $36 million jackpot was the complete worth paid out over a 30-year annuity. The $17.5 million can be despatched again proportionally to the taking part states.

If a jackpot prize will not be claimed throughout the required time restrict (which varies by state), every taking part state within the Mega Hundreds of thousands recreation will get again all the cash that state contributed to the unclaimed jackpot. Every state makes use of its unclaimed lottery prizes for various functions,” the Mega Hundreds of thousands Consortium mentioned in a press release.

Unclaimed lottery prizes aren’t a rarity, although most wins are minor. Powerball and Mega Hundreds of thousands states retain tens of hundreds of thousands of {dollars} a 12 months meant for gamers who didn’t redeem non-jackpot tickets in time.

Unclaimed cash has been decreased lately, as extra states have moved lottery operations on-line and winnings are immediately credited to gamers’ accounts. Courier companies like Jackpocket present related safety.

One other Mega Hundreds of thousands Ticket Wants Redeemed

Mega Hundreds of thousands officers say the clock is ticking on one other profitable ticket, although one far much less beneficial.

A ticket offered in Michigan for the Friday, March 17, 2023 drawing matched all 5 white numbers to win a $1 million prize. In Michigan, gamers have a full 12 months to redeem a profitable ticket.

The ticket in query was offered at a CVS positioned at 18130 West 10 Mile Highway in Southfield. If the ticket isn’t claimed in time, the Michigan Lottery will pocket the complete $1 million money prize, because the win isn’t primarily based on the jackpot. Michigan’s lottery additionally advantages public schooling by means of the College Support Fund.

Related Articles

Latest Articles